We’ve all been there, and no one ever wants to talk about it, the big C word-Constipation. Constipation is not only painful to talk about, it is physically painful too, with all the gas and bloating that accompany it.
There are many things you can do to help with constipation and get your bowels moving. The most common way is to eat more fibre. Eating high-fibre foods doesn't have to taste bland. Try adding some of the following to your diet:
- High- fibre yogurt smoothie: Add a couple of handfuls of fresh or frozen fruit and 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed to a cup of coconut water and mix it up in the blender. (try to avoid smoothies with dairy in it as it can back you up!)
- Dried fruits: apricots, figs, prunes, dates, raisins and cranberries are all high in fibre.
- Beans: Beans are an excellent source of fibre and you can add them to any foods that you already eat, like soups, burritos, salads and chili. Or, if your are feeling adventurous, you can purée the beans (or chickpeas) to make a high fibre dip like hummus.
- The greenest greens: spinach and romaine lettuce offer far more fibre than iceberg lettuce. Use these darker greens in salads so that you can get the maximum amount of nutrients in every bite that you take.
- Skin: Don’t skimp on the skin. Serve fruits like apples and pears with their skins on (buy organic fruits to avoid pesticides in the peels). If you serve home made french fries, leave the skin on and when serving fruit juice, choose fruit nectars since these thicker juices contain the fruit pulp and have more fibre.
- Omega 3- Invest in a high quality omega 3 supplement. Also, add 0.5 teaspoons of whole chia seeds to your smoothie or water.
Chiropractic and Constipation
For people who suffer from constipation, NeuroStructural Chiropractic care has proven to be very effective. The nerves that come from your lower back and sacrum are the nerves the run directly to your colon. The lower back and sacrum are common sites of structural shifts, especially for children learning how to walk and students or workers who sit at a desk all day long. Low back pain can be a sign of a structural shift, putting pressure on the nerves and interfering with the function of your nervous system, but low back pain doesn't always have to be present.
A neurostructural chiropractic adjustment can restore normal alignment and normal motion to the spine which, in turn, leads to normalized function of the nervous system and intestinal system.
A testimonial from one of Dr. Larry Webster’s patients. “My son took a serious fall as a baby and immediately stopped having bowel movements. He was constipated and cranky. After months, I was told that we might need to do an exploratory surgery to determine if there was a blockage. Dr. Larry Webster examined him, adjusted him. It was miraculous, the next day he started having normal bowel movements. This miracle response to an adjustment I now know is very common in kids (and adults too!).”